Sunday, June 1, 2014

KN7 - CHEF'S KNIFE HEAT TREATMENT

I was down for a while as I replaced the elements in my oven. The results were amazing and I was able to heat treat three knives in just over two hours.

 For the wrap I use the 318 stainless foil and add a tiny piece of tissue paper.
 I crimp the edges in the carpenter's vise. Two folds are crimped.
Once the oven is up to temp I pop the first knife in spine down and tip first into the chamber.
After a 15 minute soak, I pull it out and press the knife and foil between two copper plates. With the air compressor, I blow air over the whole thing until it's cool enough to handle. 







Now into the tempering oven at 180°C (356°F) which should produce a Rockwell C hardness of 58.

Two hours then cool. Then repeat for another two hour cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment