Tuesday, March 31, 2015

HT1 HIDDEN TANG - INITIAL LAYOUT AND PROFILE

I've always wanted to make a hidden or "stick" tang knife. After watching some videos on YouTube, I thought I would give it a try. I worked up a pattern for HT1, which is a striking trailing point design.

I glued the paper template on to some thin plywood. Cut this out on the wood band saw.
I am finding the oscillating spindle sander to be coming in handy. Much faster than changing tools on the belt grinder.
 Here's the pattern.
 I am laying it out on some 1/8" CPM 154
 Cutting the tang with the table mounted portable band saw.
It's going to save some belts to get close to the profile before heading over to the belt grinder.
Grinding the profile on the belt grinder. I like a ceramic 60 grit for this. It goes quickly.
 Profile is close.
 Comparing against template. Pretty good so far.
 I use the 4x36" belt sander to work the faces. A good magnet comes in handy here.
 Work the faces until the inclusions are gone.
I think we are ready for grinding the bevel.

No comments:

Post a Comment