Tuesday, July 7, 2015

KN12 PETTY 205mm - WA HANDLE PART 3


In order to mill a slot in the handle I need some thin and long drill bit. I need to go over 3" into the handle and make a rectangular slot.







I drilled to 7/64" in three places along the centre line.







Then I sort of milled a slot by removing the wood between the holes.






Here  I am test fitting the tang into the slot. It's a bit slow going and takes some trips back to the drill press.






A small file works for getting things smoothed inside the slot.








To get the last of the fitting done, I heated the tip of the tang with a propane torch and pushed it in all the way. Smoke!




This is how the handle is fitting. Now to take it apart and finish the blade. On to heat treatment next.






No comments:

Post a Comment