Thursday, September 17, 2015

KN18 KITCHEN UTILITY KNIFE - HEAT TREATMENT

Once the grind is down to about 0.05", I brush some protection on and got the oven warming up. After soaking for about 15 minutes at 1060°F (1940°F)
This is what she looks like out of the oven. I goes from bright yellow to red pretty quickly. As this is air hardened steel, this is getting hard just looking at it.
I slip it between to copper plates for a rapid cool.
Here I am checking for warping. Looks good!
Almost immediately I have it in the tempering at 185°C (365°F). Two full cycles of two hours is good for tempering.
This is what it looks like out of the tempering oven. Some scrub with a pad will clean off the protective paint, but I have final grinding to do so not worrying about being so clean right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment