Thursday, September 17, 2015

KN18 KITCHEN UTILITY KNIFE - HANDLE

For the handle I have some lacewood scales. I the fleck patterns in the wood. I arced the fronts to match the arc in the bolster pieces.
For matching the curves I used the disc sander and then went carefully with some 220 grit sandpaper and a wooden block until the match was very close. A gap here would look bad, so taking the time really shows.
Once shaped, I clamped and drilled out the holes for the pins.
Repeat the drilling process for the left scale.
Here I have roughed out the shape on the band saw and dimpled the areas in the middles. This will increase surface area for the epoxy to hold on to. If you use this technique, be sure that your dimples are well inside the final edges or they will appears as gaps between the tang and scale.
Getting ready for the glue up. Trusty Acraglas is recommended for anything used on the kitchen. I mixed up 5 ml (1 tablespoon). Note the black vulcanized spacers that go between the scale and bolster pieces.
Here we've clamped up and made sure that enough epoxy squeezed out in all directions. This will fill any microscopic voids.
After a day of hardening this is the handle. Looks like crap right now I know, but a few minutes on the grinder and it will be looking like a real handle.
Faces are flatted.
Adding some roundness.
Working the curves a bit more. Here I am working with sections of sand paper and hand sanding. As the wood is softer than the metals, I am being careful not to hollow the transitions from the wood to the harder materials, pins and bolster.
Now a dip into the wood stain to bring out the lace effect.
Another dunk in the ebony stain to darken the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment