Sunday, November 1, 2015

DH44-02 FINISH SANDING AND SCALES

After heat treatment, I take to the finishing belt to clean up the blade.






This is the effect of the conditioning belt. Most hand sanding is done longways, this belt will make a satin finish across the blade (more like what we see in production knifes).



For the handle I have two beautiful pieces of maple burl. I use a protractor mark the fronts in an arc.
I have made marks on the knife where the scale fronts are to line up. I clamp and drill one scale. For the centre pin and lanyard hole I use an F bit. For the two 3/16" pins, I use a #12 bit.
Once the one scale is drilled I fix it with some dowel.
Now to align the second scale to the first. Clamp, remove one dowel and drill through. Then tap the dowel back in and continue drilling the other holes. This keeps things perfectly lined up when drilling.
I use the bandsaw to get the scales into their approximate shape.
Using the same 3/16" dowel I pin the the scales together and finish the fronts.
After the cutting the pins and prepping the steel with acetone, I am ready to start the epoxy. This is West System's G/flex.







About 1-1/2 tablespoons of epoxy is mixed in the cup and applied with a Popsicle stick. Coat the pins and insert them. This ensures epoxy is all around the pin and there are no voids. Also the depressions in the filework needs to be fully filled.



After tapping the pins in, I clamp all around with medium force and wipe up the excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment